Sunday, December 20, 2009

Oh Night Divine, the Night when Christ was Born

One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is the Christmas music. I just love Christmas carols! In all honesty, without Christmas carols, I don't think it would feel very much like Christmas to me at all. It's kind of a package deal!
So for over a month I've been listening to and thinking about some popular Christmas songs. Other than a few I had to cut out of my playlist this year (I'll be home for Christmas, Home for the Holidays, etc) I've been enjoying some of the classics, such as: Silent Night, Jingle Bell Rock, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Hark the Herald Angel Sing, and many other favorites.


And today I was looking at the words a little more closely than usual. I think people often don't even realize what they are singing when it comes to Christmas music. Because let's be honest... if they did, they probably wouldn't be singing it! Most of the popular Christmas Carols are about JESUS. What a concept! Christmas music about Christ?!? Check out some of the words below from some popular Christmas Carols. Notice the words in green from each song... notice a trend?

Away in a Manger: "Away in a manger, no crib for his bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head..."

Mary's Boy Child: "...and in a manger cold and dark, Mary's little boy was born..."


What Child is this?: "Why lies he in such a mean estate, where ox and ass are feeding?


Gentle Mary Laid her Child: "Gentle Mary laid her child, lowly in a manger..."


Do you Hear what I Hear?: "A Child, a Child, shivers in the cold..."



This Christmas is my first Christmas away from family, which can be a little sad at times (hence the banning of certain Christmas songs)... but it does me good to stop and think of these songs. We celebrate Christmas because it is the day that Christ came into the world. But the first Christmas, the honored guest (Christ) was in a cold, dark, lowly manger suitable for the animals.... not very honorable at all!




This Christmas, I am thankful for those that I do get to spend Christmas with. I'm thankful for the kids, who don't get to spend ANY day with their families, let alone Christmas! I'm thankful that they are my family in Christ, and that we can celebrate His birth together. And I'm thankful for the other volunteers here at K.I.M. who are spending their Christmas with the kids as well.

Wherever you are this Christmas, and whoever you are with this Christmas, I pray that our minds would be focused on the perfect, holy, gracious Christ... who came into this frustrating, dirty, sin-infested world to be born into a cold, dirty, smelly manger, so that one day you and I could have HOPE, JOY, and a FUTURE. Remember this as you enjoy some lovely Christmas carols this season!


OH HOLY NIGHT:
Oh Holy night! The stars are brightly shining,

It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.

Long lay the world in sin and error pining.

Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,

For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!

O night divine, the night when Christ was born;

O night, O holy night, O night divine!

O night, O holy night, O night divine!


Christie Albaugh

No comments: