Thursday, December 17, 2009

Nanny Number Two

i had the great opportunity of being able to come to K.I.M. this summer and being a "nanny" for the nursery kids for a couple of months. When i left in July i was not sure if i would ever get to make the big trip back over to see the kids and staff that i had gotten to know during the summer. After talking with my parents we decided this a trip back to Manila would be a great Christmas present!

As I landed in the Manila airport i became really anxious because I didnt know if anybody would really even remember that i was here just a few months ago. Walking up to the orphanage for the first time again was exciting though! When i walked into the nursery one of the little girls ran up to me and hugged me. The older kids knew exactly who I was and even though some of the nursery kids did not know exactly who i was, it did not take long to pick right back up from where we left off and start having fun together again.

Even though it made me happy that they had not all forgotten me, it was sort of a sad realization that these kids really do understand their circumstances. They understand when people come and go and they understand that i went home to my family while they stayed in the exact same setting at the childrens home. Coming back again really just made me realize that the people that do spend time with these children really are influencing the kids life whether they realize it or not. Everybody on staff and every volunteer truly does influence the children in the home!

No comments: