Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Faith

Faith can describe my year. In February I was told that the school where I was teaching would be closing and I needed to find a new job. I had faith that God would provide. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for me to go back to school and work on my Masters that I had been dreading. March came in and I had filled out all the paperwork and was pretty much accepted into the Masters program. Then I felt God telling me now was the time for me to go to the Philippines. I took a step of faith and contacted Jeff to see about going to the Philippines for 3 months and getting a feel for life there. He gave me two options A) 3 months at the Children’s Home or B) 1 year at Faith Academy. Surprisingly he was going to be in Kansas City the next week. While driving to meet Jeff I still didn’t know what I was going to do. I was pretty sure the 3 month option was the right choice for me. We met and were talking and it came to the point of the conversation where I had to choose. I told him that I would teach at Faith Academy for a year. At which point I was sure those could only be God’s words and I knew I could trust Him. I had faith that if God wanted me there I could raise the support to be there by August. By April I was accepted into Kids International Ministries and began raising support. The beginning of July I found out that my support was nowhere near where it needed to be. I began doubting if this is really what God wanted for me, but I had faith that if God wanted me to be there he would provide for my needs. The beginning of August I got the OK that my support was where it needed to be in order to go over. Now came the hard part of saying goodbye. I don’t do well with that but I knew God was there and I had faith that he would take care of me and those that I love. I boarded the plane on August 9th to come to the Philippines. I had a long time to think about my life and what it would be like. Each time I would get nervous I had faith that God was there and He would put the right people in my life to help me to adjust to this new foreign land. My first steps onto Manila soil where that of relief and a sense of belonging. I knew without a doubt this was the place where God wanted me to be. I had faith that no matter what happened, I was doing the right thing. My first day of teaching 2nd Grade was filled with excitement. We are just like any other classroom that you might find in the States. I did have some adjustments to make though. I have 14 students from 5 different countries. We bring different backgrounds but we all believe in the same God. I was a little nervous about teaching all these different children, I wasn’t sure how I would be able to communicate clearly what I needed them all to know. I had faith though that God would provide a way, and He did. We all understand one another most of the time. We are all learning new phrases and words in all sorts of different languages. God has been amazing. Teaching at Faith Academy is not like teaching at any other school. There is a sense of belonging. Since arriving I had faith that I was where God wanted me to be. As I look back on this year I am so glad I took that first step of faith and ended up at Faith.

Katy Herman

No comments: