Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Define Necessity



In the Manila area or outside the children’s home there are hundreds of families, that are living off less than a few dollars a day. There are thousands in evacuation centers that don’t have running water and living in filth. Showers are taken on the street out of a bin, if there is water. Children are caring for children if there are no parents or adults.

If things such as water, food, and families for orphans are not indispensable but are needed then why are not all these and other needs being filled? I see families and children begging for money while I know that back in the United States people are driving $70,000 escalades. Ruby Payne in her book, A Framework for Understanding Poverty, says that wealth and poverty are relative. I see that everything is relative unless it can be compared with something that is greater or less. Is that escalade a necessity even if there is greater poverty that trumps it?

In a previous blog, it was mentioned how here at K.I.M. we are moving as the body of Christ and that we are Christ to others. I believe this to be evident by watching the efforts done by many to help or care for families and orphans. I see teams and staff loving on the children in the community and in the children’s home. I see rice given to families on Christmas. I see also that everyday there still is more to be done here. There is more and more love to be given. This disparity is real but it is hard to understand when poverty has only been in a picture.

My eyes have been opened while being here in Manila to how much work does need to be done by God with our hands and feet. Psalm 54:4 says, “Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.” I encourage those that are reading this blog to look around. What do you consider a necessity? What wealth of yours is dispensable to those who need it more?

Samantha Heacock

No comments: