Monday, August 18, 2008

When Things Go Right...


For anyone who has spent even a day in Manila you would agree that it is chaotic- efficiency and speed are not strengths of this city. Being fully prepared to spend the ENTIRE day in the city, 5 of us KIM staff ventured out to get our drivers licences, so we could legally be able to drive in the chaos! As it usually goes we spend hours filling out paperwork and being transferred from room to room getting hysterical medical and eye exams (which is a whole blog entry on its own) Today was my third attempt to get my licence because of what I mentioned earlier- the efficiency and speed are not the strong points of how things run here.

Today, however, today was different; a minor miracle! We arrived at the Land Transportation Office at 9am and by 12 in the afternoon all five of us had our licences in hand and were on our way home! We are very grateful and realize that it was a rare occurrence. In fact, so rare that is just had to be posted in a blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recognize that as a miracle. When I took my driver's license test up in Isabela, the test was fixed. In otherwords, it was rigged so that if you used their answer key you would pass the test. That was for most who couldn't pass the test that was in English! I decided to take the test without the score key which to me was cheating. I actually failed even though I knew that most of the answers were right. One question I remember well. If you see a police pull up behind you what do you do? A. Pull over and show him your license,B. Speed up and go on, C. Keep going and don't pull over and I can't remember the last one. The correct answer according to their rigged test was speed up and get out of there!
It is our 25 year anniversary for the church planting work that was started up in Isabela next year. I am excited to be able to return to the land you speak of!
God bless you in all you do for the street kids in Manila. Give them love from me. I miss them.

Joyfully Yours,

+Val Eliason
Missionary to the Philippines with Bethany Missions from 1985-2000