Saturday, February 20, 2010

How Can Someone Like Me Help?

I've done several short term mission trips in my life. And if you ever have yourself, you know that sinking feeling you get in your stomach as you head back home. The guilt begins to take over, and you feel it physically as much as in your head... you are going back home to comfort and convenience, while the people you leave are still hungry, still naked, and still need to know about the Savior! You wonder to yourself, how can I just go back to my "normal life"?

And the truth is, I've been there, and I've done that. I've traveled thousands of miles, seen some of the neediest people in the world, and somehow, at the end of it, I've managed to go back to "normal life."

This past January, a team of 15 college students came from Taylor University in Indiana. They came as a part of their academic program, needing hours for their social work and physical education degrees. But they also reached out to those in need during their time here. They touched people's lives and in return, their lives were touched. Angie, one of the professors that accompanied the students, wrote us an email explaining her thoughts as she returned back home...

"Well, it's been almost a couple weeks since we've been there with you and your staff but I think often of KIM and the Philippines. I finally got all my shorts and summer clothes put away. Everything makes me think of the Philippines and the kids and the people there. I spoke in my church Sunday. eople were very moved by the information (feedings, etc.) I am hoping they will step up and support KIM. I speak to another church at the end of the month. I have also been asked to speak to two different groups after I spoke to the church Sunday. None of this I ever expected to do. I didn’t get a chance to talk to you before I left but I was deeply impacted by staying there with KIM and seeing the needs there. Please know I want to help however I can but I have never seen myself as a “missionary”. How can someone like me help?"

How can someone like you help? You're doing it right now! You're speaking, and you're getting the word out. You're sharing your experiences. You're keeping in contact. You're sharing your heart with those around you. You're not just going back to "normal life."

Thank you to all those people who have not only come and served here in the Philippines, but continue to serve back at home through awareness, prayer, financial support, and by remembering the names and the faces of the people you met during your time here.

We hope to see you again one day soon!

No comments: